The Digital Sending features of the mfp can send scanned documents directly to electronic mailboxes (e-mail), transforming paper-based information into digital images that can be shared, stored, or edited. This saves the mfp user from having to first create and save an electronic copy of a hard-copy document and then send it via their mail application. This can now all be done in one step at the mfp.
The E-mail Settings page allows you to enable and configure the Send-to-Email features of this mfp.
1. To enable the Send to E-mail feature, click E-mail Settings.
2. The mfp requires a Simple Mail Transport Protocol (SMTP) Gateway server to forward e-mail messages to destination e-mail addresses. To specify an SMTP Gateway server, provide the following SMTP Gateways Settings:
· In the Send E-Mail... drop-down list box, select how the e-mail messages will be sent:
Selecting the via the Digital Sending service option will send e-mail messages to the SMTP Gateway server via the Digital Sending Software service (using the settings configured on the E-mail settings page). This method does require the extra step of sending the e-mail data from the mfp to the service, but utilizes a more robust e-mail delivery mechanism.
Selecting the directly from the mfp option will send e-mail messages to the SMTP Gateway server directly from the mfp. The following information must also be configured: option will send e-mail messages to the SMTP Gateway server directly from the . The following information must also be configured:
· In the Device's SMTP Gateway: edit box, enter the IP address or host name of the SMTP Gateway server that will handle e-mail requests from the mfp. If you do not know the IP address or host name of your SMTP Gateway, you can press the Find Gateways button to search the network for a suitable SMTP Gateway server (if one is available).
Note: Some mfp models only recognize IP addresses. In such cases, host names will be converted to the equivalent IP address.
· In the PORT: edit box, enter the TCP/IP port number on which the server is processing SMTP requests. Typically, this is port 25.
· In the Maximum Attachment Size drop-down list, select the maximum size your SMTP Gateway server allows for e-mail attachments. If the mfp needs to send an e-mail attachment larger than the maximum size specified, the attachment will be broken into smaller files and multiple e-mail messages will be sent.
· Press the Test button to verify that the SMTP Gateway server specified is valid and operational.
Note: On Older Model mfp's, the via the Digital Sending service option is the only available option. Some other mfp models may only allow the directly from the mfp option.
3. If Authentication is not enabled on this mfp, the mfp will require the user to enter an e-mail address in the 'From:' field on the mfp's control panel in order to send an e-mail message (to indicate the sender of the message). If a user does not provide an e-mail address, the mfp uses the Default 'From:' Address instead:
· In the E-mail Address edit box, enter the e-mail address of the person who will act as the default sender.
· Optionally, enter the Display Name. The name entered here appears in the 'From:' field when the mfp user first initiates a 'send to e-mail' operation. This field can be used to display instructions to the mfp user (such as "Please type your e-mail address here").
Note: If the Display Name is not provided, the value entered in the E-mail Address field will be displayed in the 'From:' field.
· To keep the mfp user from changing the 'From:' field, check the Prevent Device user from changing the Default 'From:' Address checkbox. This prevents a user from impersonating someone else.
4. Optionally, in the Default Subject edit box, enter a subject that will initially appear in the Subject field when the mfp user composes an e-mail message. You can also use this field to display instructions to the mfp user (such as "Please type in a subject for your message").
5. To configure the Send-to-Email Advanced features click the Advanced button. The Advanced E-mail Settings dialog box appears.